Please note: We publish strictly according to our theme list. Please read our guidelines below and query accordingly.
Click here to download a PDF of our 2017 theme list. Any 2017 issue date listed here in red is already filled:
1,8, 15, 22, 29
- February 5, 12, 19,
- March 5, 12, 19, 26
- April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- May 7, 14, 21, 28
- June 4, 11, 18,
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- August 6, 13, 20, 27
- September 3, 10, 17, 24
- October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- November 5,
12, 19, 26
- December 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
The Growing Christian’s Weekly Resource
GUIDELINES FOR WRITERS
- The Lookout is a 16-page, full-color weekly magazine from Standard Publishing with a circulation of about 40,000.
- The Lookout is designed to provide Christian adults with true-to-the-Bible teaching about current topics to help them mature as believers and live in the world as faithful witnesses of Christ.
- The Lookout publishes from a theologically conservative, nondenominational, and noncharismatic perspective. It is a member of the Evangelical Press Association.
- Our emphasis is on the needs of ordinary Christians who want to grow in their faith rather than on trained theologians or church leaders.
OUR THEME LIST
- We publish strictly according to our theme list. All articles we purchase will address one of the weekly themes we have scheduled for the year.
- Before you query, go online to find our theme list and a chart that shows which issues have been filled (lookoutmag.com/about-us/write-for-us).
- Due to the volume of queries we receive, we will not be able to respond to every query. If you see an issue filled on our website and you have not heard a yes from us, assume we do not have space for yours at this time.
- Email only (No mailed queries or submissions are accepted.)
- Query only (We do not accept unsolicited submissions. Unsolicited manuscripts will not be considered or returned.)
- Before you query check the issue availability online (lookoutmag.com/about-us/write-for-us/).
- Your query letter should describe the article you propose to write. In the subject line of your email please include the issue number for which you are querying.
- If we are interested, we will ask for the article “on speculation,” which means we are willing to examine the article but cannot promise to publish it.
- Allow several months for query reply.
- The Lookout pays up to 11 cents per word for first rights on unsolicited articles that are between 600-1,400 words.
- Please do not submit poetry or fiction.
- Please do not submit cartoons.
- Please do not submit previously published material.
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT
Once your query has been accepted on speculation:
- Please use the 2011 edition of the New International Version when quoting Scripture in your submission. (If you use a rare quote from a different version, please note what version you are using.)
- On your submission, please provide your name, address, daytime telephone number, e-mail address, issue number, word count, one-sentence bio, and Twitter handle if you have one.
- Please create several subheads.
- Secure permission from the appropriate publishing house when quoting songs, hymns, books, or poetry in your article.
- Include a list of references for quotes and other sources you cite.
- Our preferred method for accepting articles on speculation, is via a Word or Rich Text Format document attached to an email message.
The Lookout, 8805 Governor’s Hill Drive, Suite 400
Cincinnati, Ohio 45249
Kelly Carr, Editor
Sheryl Overstreet, Assistant Editor