By Michael C. Mack
1. As a kid, did you ever run away or think about running away from home? Why? What happened? When did you come to your senses?
Read Luke 15:11-24.
2. This is a very familiar story to many Christians. Today try to take a fresh look at the passage and how God can use it to help you grow in your faith. As a group, outline the main points of this parable. As you do, compare it to the Bible’s story of God and humanity.
3. Think of your own faith story so far. Each person can take about five minutes to share how old you were and what happened at each stage, as applicable, of your journey:
A. Innocent child of my Father
B. “Give me” stage
C. On my own to live for me
D. Hired myself out to _____
E. Came to my senses
F. Confessed and repented to God
G. Accepted by God
4. What do each of the father’s responses to his lost son’s return tell you about the father?
5. We can visualize this as the father representing God in this story and the son representing you. What is your response to a Father who loves you like this?
6. How will the rest of your life say thank you to him?
Michael C. Mack leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).