By Michael C. Mack
1. Do you enjoy entertaining people in your home? How about having strangers over? Why or why not?
Read 3 John.
2. Look at each of the three people mentioned in this short letter: Gaius, Diotrephes, and Demetrius. What words or phrases are used to describe each one’s witness, whether positive or negative?
3. How did Gaius use his gifts, abilities, and opportunities to serve as a partner in God’s kingdom?
4. How would you describe the attitude and character of Diotrephes?
5. How was the church to which John wrote like or unlike your church? What do you learn about a healthy church (or small group) from this letter?
6. From this letter and 2 John, what makes both truth and love vital for a church, group, or family? What happens when one is missing in favor of the other?
7. Close in prayer, thanking God for the truth of his Word and the face-to-face fellowship and love you have for one another.
Michael Mack leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).